Skip to Content

Can you cross the Mexican border with a rental car Hertz?

Yes, you can take a rental car from Hertz across the Mexican border. You will need to take certain precautions and pay certain fees in order to do so, however. All rental cars come with a Mexico Border Fee that you will need to pay, and you may also need to provide proof of liability insurance to the border patrol.

Additionally, you should contact Hertz and inform them that you are planning on taking their rental car across the border, and you should also make sure to read the terms and conditions of your rental agreement carefully.

Finally, it is important to note that once in Mexico, it can be difficult to find a Hertz service center, so you should make sure to obtain a road map and have a plan for returning the rental car when your trip is finished.

Can I drive my Hertz rental car into Mexico?

No, you cannot drive your Hertz rental car into Mexico. This is because the rental agreement you signed prohibits driving your vehicle into Mexico, and Mexican law does not allow it. In addition, Hertz does not offer coverage for any damages or liabilities should you choose to drive into Mexico, which means that all costs related to an accident or other incident would have to be borne by you.

Can you drive a rental over the border?

Yes, you can usually drive a rental car over the border with most rental agencies. However, it’s important to check the rental contract beforehand to make sure it is allowed. Some rental companies may not allow you to take their rental cars into Canada or Mexico, while others may only allow it with an additional fee.

Depending on the rental agency and the country you are crossing into, you may also need to purchase additional insurance at the border or when renting the car. It’s also important to verify if there are any other restrictions such as age of the driver or vehicle size that could prevent you from crossing the border.

It’s always recommended to check with the rental agency prior to leaving to avoid any surprises.

What documents do I need to cross the US border from Mexico by car?

If you are traveling by car across the U. S. border from Mexico, you need valid, unexpired government-issued identification to enter the U. S. All travelers over the age of 16 are required to present a valid passport, Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) NEXUS card, Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card, Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) or Enhanced Identification Card (EIC).

Along with a valid ID, all travelers must have a tourist visa, if required. If you are a U. S. citizen, you may also need to provide proof of citizenship such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, naturalization certificate, or certificate of Indian status.

If you are from a country that requires a visa to travel to the U. S. , then the visa must be obtained prior to traveling. You may also need to have a valid visa for any country that you will be traveling through in route to the U.


If you are traveling with children who are not your own, you will need to obtain a notarized letter of consent from the child’s parent or legal guardian. The letter of consent should include the child’s name, address, contact information, dates/duration of travel, destination, and relationship to the child.

You should also have a valid driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance. For border crossing purposes, it is recommended that all travelers have a list of the items they are bringing with them (e.

g. clothing, personal electronics, toys, etc. ), as well as a list of the items you have that have been purchased in Mexico (invoices, receipts, etc. ).

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) also recommends carrying a copy of your travel itinerary, including your flight details and hotel reservations, if applicable.

Finally, keeping a valid Mexican entry stamp in your passport marked with single or multiple entry to the U.S is important for re-entry to the U.S.

Can a US citizen be denied entry?

Yes, a US citizen can be denied entry into the United States. People who may be denied entry include those who have not been vaccinated, have certain criminal convictions, fail to provide all necessary documents, have previous egregious behavior, or have a suspected health or financial issue.

This can also include denied entry for reasons such as not complying with immigration laws, not having the necessary visa, or having false documents. Additionally, the US may deny entry to someone who is considered to be a threat to public safety, or a risk to national security.

Depending on the country of origin, there may be specific laws in place that can restrict entry into the US, such as travel bans or immigration rules. People who are denied entry may receive an inadmissibility determination from the US immigration officer, or can be refused entry without any prior notification.

What forms do I need before entering Mexico?

Before entering Mexico, travelers must obtain a valid passport, temporary resident permit (if applicable), tourist card (FMM form), and any applicable visas (if applicable).

A valid passport is necessary for all travelers entering Mexico, even for travel within the same country. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your intended stay.

If you are staying in Mexico for more than 180 days, you will need a temporary resident permit. This permit can be obtained from the National Immigration Institute (INM) after you enter Mexico.

A tourist card (FMM form) is also required for all travelers entering Mexico. This form can be obtained from Mexican consulates, or from an authorized travel agency, before traveling to Mexico. You may also fill this form out electronically before boarding your flight.

The tourist card must include your name and passport information, as well as your intended length of stay in Mexico.

In addition, you may need to obtain a visa for entry into Mexico. Visas are typically required for traveling for business or study purposes, or if you plan to stay in Mexico for more than 180 days. Visas are granted by the National Immigration Institute and can be obtained from Mexican consulates.

It is important to note that Mexico has established enhanced travel requirements due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Before traveling to Mexico, travelers should check the current regulations in place for entry.

Can I cross the US border without a passport?

No, you cannot cross the US border without a passport. In order to enter the US, you must have either a valid passport, U. S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry), or an Enhanced Driver’s License.

All travelers, regardless of citizenship, must have one of these approved documents in order to gain entry into the United States. Additionally, if you are an international traveler and are 16 years of age or older, you may also have to present an I-94 Arrival/Departure Record.

What are the requirements when a person wants to take a rented vehicle across the border to another country?

If you are planning to take a rented vehicle across the border to another country, there are several requirements to be aware of.

First and foremost, you must ensure that the rental agreement in place allows for you to take the vehicle across the border. Many rental companies do not allow for this, so it’s important to check before you book.

It’s also important to note that if you cross a border that requires visas, any additional travelers must also have valid visas to enter the country.

Next, it’s important to check that your insurance coverage will cover you while you’re driving abroad. If your rental company does not cover you, you can purchase a Travel Insured Policy at select rental locations prior to leaving your home country.

It’s essential to research the laws of the country that you are visiting, and you may be required to have an International Drivers Permit, in additional to your regular license.

Finally, you must make sure that the paperwork for your rental car is in order. At some borders, you will need to have the following documents: a credit card in the same name as the driver on the rental agreement, the rental agreement, a valid passport for all travelers, and a return flight ticket.

It’s important to ensure that all of these documents are in order and presentable as you approach the border.

Crossing international borders requires taking additional precautions when you are in a rental vehicle, so if you are planning to visit another country in a rented car, it’s important to do your research and ensure that you have all of the required documents and insurance coverage beforehand.

Does Hertz operate in Mexico?

Yes, Hertz does operate in Mexico. They have over 70 locations throughout the country, including in seven of Mexico’s largest cities. Hertz started operating in Mexico back in 2001 and continues to grow and expand its services.

As a major player in the car rental industry, Hertz offers a wide selection of vehicles to choose from and provides its customers with competitive prices, quality services, and reliable brands. In addition, Hertz offers a loyalty program and several discounts, making it an ideal choice for people who plan on renting a car in Mexico.

The company also has bilingual staff, allowing customers to enjoy a smooth and seamless car rental experience regardless of the language they speak.

What car rental companies are in Mexico?

Some of the more well-known ones include: Alamo Rent a Car, Avis, Budget, Dollar Rent a Car, Europcar, Hertz, National, and Thrifty. Additionally, there are several major local car rental companies such as Mex, NuevoTec, America, and ABC Rent A Car may be available in some areas.

Prices and services vary by company, so it’s important to compare rental rates and check available services before booking.

Can I rent a car in the US and return it in Mexico?

Yes, you can rent a car in the US and return it in Mexico. There are car rental companies that offer cross-border car rentals, with an additional fee. For example, Dollar Car Rental offers a cross-border car rental that allows you to pick up your car in the US and return it in Mexico.

When you make your arrangements for a cross-border car rental, the car rental company may require you to show proof of citizenship such as a passport or birth certificate. You also need to provide proof of insurance, valid driver’s license, and a valid credit or debit card.

Depending on the type of car you rent, drop-off charges may apply, so you should be aware of all terms and conditions before you rent the car. Additionally, it’s important to remember that if you are entering Mexico with a rental car, you may have to pay a road fee.

If you are planning to rent a car to drive across the border, it’s important to research and understand all the rules, requirements, and regulations that come with it.

Does my US car insurance cover me in Mexico?

No, your US car insurance will not cover you in Mexico. Generally, your US car insurance will not provide coverage outside of the United States and its possessions. You will need a Mexican auto insurance policy to be covered in Mexico.

Mexican auto insurance provides coverage for personal liability, medical expenses, property damage, and legal assistance. Mexican auto insurance policies are generally quite inexpensive, and you can purchase them online, at special Mexican insurance companies, and at most border towns.

Depending on the coverage you require and the length of your stay in Mexico, Mexican auto insurance costs can range from less than $100 to several hundred dollars.

Does Hertz require an international driver’s license?

Hertz does not require an international driver’s license for renting vehicles in the United States. However, if you plan to rent a car outside of the United States, you may need an international driver’s license depending on the country.

Hertz does not provide international driver’s licenses, so if you need one, you must obtain it from an authorized government issuing agency in the country where you plan to drive the vehicle. When making a reservation outside of the U.

S. , please ensure you provide the reference number and expiration date of your international driver’s license in order to fully complete the reservation and confirm you’ll be able to rent the vehicle.

Can I take a rental from San Diego to Tijuana?

Yes, you can take a rental from San Diego to Tijuana. You’ll need to make sure you have the proper documentation to cross the border, so it’s best to check with your rental car company ahead of time to make sure you’re in compliance with all the requirements.

Keep in mind that some rental companies may not allow you to take a rental car across the border, so be sure you check before you rent the car. Additionally, you should obtain Mexican auto insurance before crossing the border, which can be purchased through the rental car company or online.

Once you’ve crossed the border, you’ll want to familiarize yourself with any applicable road rules and requirements before hitting the highways. Be aware that Mexican roads often have speed bumps, pot holes, and large trucks that you should be aware of when driving.

Ultimately, it is possible to take a rental car from San Diego to Tijuana just make sure you check with the rental company, get your proper documentation, and obtain Mexican auto insurance.

Can you cross a rental car to Tijuana?

Yes, you can cross a rental car to Tijuana. When crossing the U. S. -Mexico border with a rental car, there are special considerations to keep in mind. Most rental companies will require a credit card number and additional fees for crossing into Mexico as additional insurance, and may also ask for additional documents or identification.

Make sure to check with the rental company before crossing the border. Additionally, it is important to check the Mexican government’s travel restrictions and safety advisories and take the necessary precautions.

Finally, make sure to carry a valid driver’s license, passport, car registration, and rental agreement with you while crossing.